Thursday, April 12, 2007

Stanley Cup Playoffs, Night 2

Last night featured the West and some very long games. Tonight featured the East. And if you thought there a lot of goals last night (21 goals in 4 games), tonight was even better (25 goals in 4 games). Unfortunately, that didn't extend to my Bolts. The Lightning couldn't manage to take the first game of the series. Read on.

Red Wings 4, Flames 1
Red Wings lead series 1-0
Calgary just got outplayed tonight. I was actually called "an idiot" by someone for suggesting that the Flames might get swept. I would have no problem eating my words, but we'll see if I have to. The Red Wings are doing just fine. The Flames have some work to do if they're going to win a game in this series. Niklas Lidstrom scored on the power play for Detroit and Alex Tanguay prevented Hasek's shutout. I watched most of this game on Versus.

Rangers 4, Thrashers 3
Rangers lead series 1-0
I saw a few quick highlights from this game during Hockey Central on Versus. The Jagr goal was nice. Ultimately it was Nylander's that won the game. It's worth noting Atlanta never had the lead during this one either. They didn't look very good. Hope it was a fluke and this series goes the distance. I put my money on the Thrash, you know.

Devils 5, Lightning 3
Devils lead series 1-0
It was a tight game most of the way and I wish I could've been able to watch it. If only Fort Myers made the cut to fit in Sun Sports' Lightning coverage zone. Yes, we lost, but consider who scored our goals: Marty with one and Vinny with a pair. That's kind of what we were looking for. I just wish Holmqvist could've been stronger. Some of those goals were soft. Zach Parise scored twice for New Jersey.

Sabres 4, Islanders 1
Sabres lead series 1-0
I got to watch the third period of this game thanks to bonus coverage from Versus. They carried the TSN feed from Canada. Buffalo pretty well dominated the game. Brian Campbell and Chris Drury each scored twice, including once each on the power play. I think the Isles really need DiPietro back if they're going to have a shot in this series.

By the way, I've added a new feature to the sidebar. I'm keeping a schedule of nationally-televised games for those of us who either live outside NHL markets or just want to watch as much playoff hockey as is humanly possible.

Photos: ESPN.com, CBS Sportsline.com

No comments: