Saturday, April 14, 2007

Stanley Cup Playoffs, Night 4

It was all east, all day. And with the exception of the Thrashers, everybody managed to even up their series as they all prepare to switch cities for the next two games. Tonight's game recaps follow.

Penguins 4, Senators 3
Series tied 1-1
After the Pens got an early goal from Ray Whitney, the Sens evened up the game, then took the lead midway through the second period. It looked like this was going to be Ottawa's game until Pittsburgh mounted a comeback. Jordan Staal and Sidney Crosby each got their second goals of the series. All I can say is I kind of wish I'd gotten to see the third period of this one. That's where it really got exciting and the young Penguins showed the Senators they deserved to be in the postseason. NBC carried this game (in HD) in most markets. But not mine. Game 1: Senators 6, Penguins 3

Rangers 2, Thrashers 1
Rangers lead series 2-0
The Rangers got off to a quick start after a kooky goal from Sean Avery (who was a major part of this game) during the first period. He meant to dump it in but it took a strange bounce off the glass and caught Atlanta goalie Johan Hedberg off guard. The Thrash answered five minutes into the third with an Ilya Kovalchuk goal. Then Brendan Shanahan scored with four minutes to go to give New York the win. NBC had this game (also in HD) in a handful of markets in the south and northeast, mine included. I'm watched and it was a good one. Game 1: Rangers 4, Thrashers 3

Lightning 3, Devils 2
Series tied 1-1
I listened to Dave Mishkin call the game online until an anonymous commenter from Cape Coral told me they actually have the game on Comcast cable here in the Fort Myers area (via the FSN New York telecast). I started watching the third period just after Vinny Lecavalier gave the Lightning the lead again and kept watching until the very end. The Bolts got their first lead of the series midway through the first period on a Filip Kuba goal. But the bane of the Lightning's existence in this series, Zach Parise, tied the game with two minutes to go in the period. Jamie Langenbrunner gave the Devils the lead in late in the second but Marty St. Louis tied it up again just a few minutes later. Ultimately, it was Vinny's early third period tally that spelled victory for the Bolts, despite some tense moments at the end of the game when he took a bad penalty. I love hockey! GO BOLTS! Game 1: Devils 5, Lightning 3

Islanders 3, Sabres 2
Series tied 1-1
The Islanders jumped out with the lead by scoring first three minutes into the game. Trent Hunter was credited with the goal which was a redirection of Mike Sillinger's shot. Then Bruno Gervais scored to give New York the two-goal lead and Toni Lydman put Buffalo on the board with 1:02 left in the period. The second period was quiet but the Sabres tied the game two minutes into the third period. Then it was the power play that served the Isles very well. With Maxim Afinogenov in the box, Marc-Andre Bergeron scored what would turn out to be the game-winner. A very enjoyable game. I was glad to see Rick DiPietro reinvigorate his club. I've said it before: hockey is beautiful in Versus HD. Game 1: Sabres 4, Islanders 1

Photos: ESPN.com, CBS Sportsline.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I stumbled upon your blog because I was searching for info why I can't watch the Lightning playoff games living in Cape Coral. I don't know if you have Comcast high speed internet, but I do and am hoping this will work tonight.

http://www.comcast.net/sports/nhl/hockeylive/

Hopefully this will allow people in our area to watch the games and I figured I would pass this on in case you didn't know.

Chris said...

You got my hopes up, Anonymous. For some strange reason, I got a "blackout restrictions" message and have been relegated to simply listening to the game online.

But thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Anonymous said...

Actually, the game is on Comcast cable channel 715. I got the same blackout restriction even though we arent in the sunsport's region.

Chris said...

You're a godsend, Anonymous. I don't get channel 715 but I did some flipping around and found the game on 774 via FSN New York. You're awesome!