Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Western Quarterfinal Roundup

As of now, one round of the 2007 Stanley Cup Playoffs is on the books. But before we take a look ahead to the next round, let's take a quick look at where we've been. Below you'll find the results of each series along with a comparison on how my predictions fared. We'll start with the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals. The West will follow.

Red Wings vs Flames
Red Wings win series 4-2
Red Wings 4, Flames 1
Red Wings 3, Flames 1
Flames 3, Red Wings 2
Flames 3, Red Wings 2
Red Wings 5, Flames 1
Red Wings 2, Flames 1, 2OT
My Take   At the outset, I thought the Flames were completely unprepared for the playoffs. Then the series shifted to Calgary and it was like they were a different team. Even if they had played Game 6 like Games 3 and 4, I still don't thinkt they would have won. Plus, they didn't deserve to after Game 5's fiasco. But Detroit is a machine. I could envision them making another real run at the Cup this year. But they've won enough in the past decade. I'm ready for someone new.
Those Lousy Predictions   Red Wings in 4; Yes, I believe I was called an idiot for making this one. So this is me eating my words. But hey, after Games 1 and 2 it looked like a lock. Who knew the Flames would transform at the Saddledome? Still, I did pick the right team. 50/50

Ducks vs Wild
Ducks win series 4-1
Ducks 2, Wild 1
Ducks 3, Wild 2
Ducks 2, Wild 1
Wild 4, Ducks 1
Ducks 4, Wild 1
My Take   The first three games of this series were all decided by one goal. I think the Wild had a real shot, but Ducks goalie Ilya Bryzgalov was the thorn in their side, managing to keep them at bay just enough. Their 4-1 win was impressive in Game 4 to prevent the sweep, but ultimately the Ducks were the stronger team all around.
Those Lousy Predictions   Wild in 7; I honestly don't know what I was thinking here. Maybe I thought the Ducks would collapse in the postseason after having a most spectacular regular sesaon. Let's leave it at that. I was wrong. Way wrong. WRONG!

Canucks vs Stars
Canucks win series 4-3
Canucks 5, Stars 4, 4OT
Stars 2, Canucks 0
Canucks 2, Stars 1, 1OT
Canucks 2, Stars 1
Stars 1, Canucks 0, 1OT
Stars 2, Canucks 0
Canucks 4, Stars 1
My Take   Game 1 happened and stunned everyone. The marathon, sixth-longest game in playoff history and nine goals between a pair of teams that couldn't combine for more than three in any one game during the regular season. Then things settled down and Marty Turco was a rock. He became the 13th goalie in history to post three shutouts in one series. Every game the Stars won was a shutout. That also means every game where he got scored on, he lost. But let's not discount Roberto Luongo. He kept Vancouver in a number of games where the offense couldn't put anything together.
Those Lousy Predictions   Canucks in 6; I figured the Canucks had the edge in this series mostly because of Luongo and as it turned out, the series really did come down goaltending as the teams tied a league record with just 11 goals combined in five straight games. I have to hand it to Turco though, he held out a little longer than I expected. 50/50

Predators vs Sharks
Sharks win series 4-1
Sharks 5, Predators 4, 2OT
Predators 5, Sharks 2
Sharks 3, Predators 1
Sharks 3, Predators 2
Sharks 3, Predators 2
My Take   Everyone's saying it, so I will too. Looks like those trade deadline deals didn't really pan out for Nashville. To me, they looked very strong throughout this series. San Jose just looked a little stronger. And were. I was impressed with the Sharks and could maybe see them going all the way this year. Thorton, Marleau and Cheechoo. It's like Lecavalier, St. Louis and Richards. Only better, apparently.
Those Lousy Predictions   Predators in 6; Okay shut up, I picked the Preds to take the Cup and now they're out in Round 1. Move on. WRONG!

And that's that with that. I was 25% on this conference. That's what happens when you follow an Eastern team and see Eastern teams 72 out of 82 games a year. Overall, I finished with a 38%. I obviously suck at making predictions. But that's never stopped me before.

Later today, my look ahead at Round 2 and other predictions. Maybe I can get some more wrong. Fingers crossed!

No comments: