Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Semifinal Roundup

So that's that for the Conference Semifinals. They ended yesterday with a big win for Detroit. They became the final team to lock in a spot in the Conference Finals for these playoffs. But before we take a look ahead to the next round, let's take a quick look at the last one. And we can tally up how many bad predictions I made (actually, I did surprisingly well).

Sabres vs Rangers
Sabres win series 4-2
Sabres 5, Rangers 2
Sabres 3, Rangers 2
Rangers 2, Sabres 1, 2OT
Rangers 2, Sabres 1
Sabres 2, Rangers 1, 1OT
Sabres 5, Rangers 4
My Take   This was a good year for Rangers fans. They got to see one hell of a team. Unfortunately, the Sabres are just that ridiculously good. Scary good, as some fans put it. I'm annoyed, yes, that they're so invincible. But I saw it coming a mile away.
Those Lousy Predictions   Sabres in 6; Oh yes, I called this one. Right on the money. RIGHT!

Devils vs Senators
Senators win series 4-1
Senators 5, Devils 4
Devils 3, Senators 2, 2OT
Senators 2, Devils 0
Senators 3, Devils 2
Senators 3, Devils 2
My Take   It's nice to see Marty Brodeur implode — when he's playing for someone else's team. No, he's a good goalie and I respect him for that. But come on, a little rivalry contempt isn't out of line here. His play was here and there and that's why the Devils couldn't go on. That and no one on that team can consistently score goals.
Those Lousy Predictions   Senators in 7; The big surprise here was that the Devils were done in five games. I thought that had at least a couple more wins in them. That damn crystal ball! 50/50

Red Wings vs Sharks
Red Wings win series 4-2
Sharks 2, Red Wings 0
Red Wings 3, Sharks 2
Sharks 2, Red Wings 1
Red Wings 3, Sharks 2, 1OT
Red Wings 4, Sharks 1
Red Wings 2, Sharks 0
My Take   This was a flat-out strange series. It began and ended with the same score (2-0) but with a different team winning. But the biggest news is that for the first time in these playoffs, the team that won Game 1 actually lost the series. I really have no idea what happened to San Jose in this series. They had more going against them in the last round against Nashville. But what's bad for the Sharks is awesome for the Wings. They're moving on up.
Those Lousy Predictions   Sharks in 6; Well, I did predict six games. Stupid crystal ball just saw the wrong team winning it. I really am rather surprised Detroit pulled it out the way they did. I know San Jose started sucking, but I at least expected a Game 7. 50/50

Ducks vs Canucks
Ducks win series 4-1
Ducks 5, Canucks 1
Canucks 2, Ducks 1, 2OT
Ducks 3, Canucks 2
Ducks 3, Canucks 2, 1OT
Ducks 2, Canucks 1, 2OT
My Take   After that first round against Dallas, I thought Vancouver would be unstoppable in overtime. So if you'd said there would be three OT games in this series, I'd have said Anaheim never had a chance. Boy, they showed me. But Anaheim is a talented team. I figured they'd win. I just didn't think they'd beat the Canucks at their own game.
Those Lousy Predictions   Ducks in 6; Ever so close I was on this one. Off by just one game. But can you blame me with the way Vancouver plays in OT? 50/50

All right then. So as for my predictions. I'm at about 63%. Yeah, that's a D. My invisible crystal ball didn't do me all that well. Still, it was much better prognosticating than in the last round. Improvement is good. And so are the Conference Finals. A preview comes your way tomorrow.

No comments: