Wednesday, May 9, 2007

My 2007 Stanley Cup Predictions, Round 3

Things went much better for my prediction-wise in the last round and I have to credit that invisible crystal ball of mine. I think I'll use it again today. There are only two series to preview now. We're really coming down to it now. The final four. (I think that's what they're down to on American Idol this week.) Anyway, read on for more of my nonsense.

Conference Finals

Sabres vs Senators
Sizing It Up: For the first time in these playoffs, the Sabres have to leave the state. Worse yet, the country. And they have to cross a giant lake! What are we to do? Okay, does anyone else think think this is going to be the year for the Senators? They have played awfully well in the first two rounds. Heatley, Spezza and Alfredsson appear to be unstoppable and Emery has proved he nothing if not a playoff goalie. Still the Sabres are just so deep. While I would very much like to see Ottawa go all the way this year, I'm afraid Buffalo is a little too powerful (for anyone). It should be a long series.
The Invisible Crystal Ball Says: Sabres in 7

Red Wings vs Ducks
Sizing It Up: Remember the year Anaheim went to the finals against Jersey? And remember how they clocked Detroit? Yeah, I'll have some more of that, please. I'm sorry, I know the Red Wings have all but proved they're going all the way this year, but they've taken some pretty bad beatings in the prior rounds. And with Schneider gone, the blue line hurts and Dominik Hasek is good, but just how good? The Ducks have been walking all over everybody this season and I think they'll do the same to the Wings.
The Invisible Crystal Ball Says: Ducks in 6

Here's something interesting, though. If both Buffalo and Anaheim win their series, the two teams in the Finals will both be donning uniforms and logos that were just unveiled this year. I'm from Tampa. Buccaneers anyone? Interesting.

Anyway, I'm not changing my Finals prediction. I'm still in favor of the Ducks for the Cup.

Stanley Cup Finals
Sabres vs Ducks : Ducks in 7

Any thoughts? What do you think will happen in this round? Feel free to comment.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on the Anaheim in 6 prediction but I really think Ottawa will come out on top in the east.

I think the end result is going to rely a lot by team defense. Ottawa is clearly ahead in that department. I do agree Buffalo has a deep lineup but Ottawa too. It just happened the bottom 3 lines in Ottawa didn't produce much against Jersey but if they can pick it up a bit, I believe they will win. Ottawa in 6

Anonymous said...

i agree, but don't forget the Brodeur affect on the stats of Ottawa's forwards (even if people said he wasn't playing his best, lets face it, he still made some incredible saves).

Chris said...

It's true about Brodeur and don't misunderstand, more than anything I want to see the Senators go on and I really do think they have what it takes to do that. But I was on the fence about that prediction. That's why I said seven games. When it goes that far, the scale can tip either way. I'll be more than happy to eat my words when Ottawa goes to the Finals.