Monday, April 30, 2007

The 2007 NBC Drama Pilots

Okay, I promised I'd get to it in the future and friends, the future is now. (Oh, he did not just say that.)

Now then, a few weeks back I posted my hopes and predictions for the new fall TV lineups from the "big four" networks. I did a few brief write-ups on new pilots I've read about and would like to see on the schedules. Thing is, it was all wishful thinking. I have a better chance of being struck by lightning (twice and in the same place) than being even close to accurate.

Having said that, this week I'm going to go through all the drama pilots in production one by one. We'll kick it off with NBC, again following the order of the upfronts which begin, as you know, on May 14.

My source for pilot info is, as ever, the all-powerful futon critic. I'm not going re-hash information that's already available. This is just me talking about what pilots I like the premises/casts/producers of so that when they're picked up I can say "I told you so" or when they're dropped I can eat my words. Words are yummy anyway.

There are eight drama pilots from NBC. For each, you got your pitch, your slant, your faces, and your puppetmasters. Try to ignore the weather forecasts that inexplicably accompany each potential show. I don't really know what they mean.

The Bionic Woman
The Pitch
Woman barkeep playing substitute mom to kid sister gets injured in devestating car wreck.
The Slant
Über-cool, out-of-this-world tech gives her superpowers and another shot at life — at a price.
The Faces
Michelle Ryan leads this crack team which also includes Mae Whitman (Egg on "Arrested Development"), Miguel Ferrer ("Crossing Jordan"), Molly Price ("Third Watch"), Katee Sackhoff, Chris Bowers, and Will Yun Lee.
The Puppetmasters
The creators are Laeta Kalogridis and David Eick, the latter of which some may know from "Battlestar Galactica." Personally, I have yet to see the Sci-Fi series which I have heard only raves about. Their cohorts include Bruno Heller, who last wrote "unknown episodes" of the "Brilliant But Cancelled" USA network series "Touching Evil," according to IMDb. The director is Michael Dinner, who has been a part of "North Shore," "Mister Sterling," "Karen Sisco," and "Invasion." Damn, where are all those shows? (I jest, of course. Except that I actually liked and watched "Mister Sterling." Oh, shut up.)
The Forecast
Overcast I have to say I've always been fascinated by remakes but by and large, they don't often have the ring of success associated with them. Still, I'm fascinated.

Chuck
The Pitch
Joe Blow nerdy-guy gets strange email from old friend.
The Slant
Old friend happens to be spy and now Joe Blow has big secrets in his brain.
The Faces
Zachary Levi or somebody plays the title character who, oddly enough, happens to be named Chuck. He plays with Adam Baldwin, Joshua Gomez, Yvonne Strzechowski, Sarah Lancaster, Natalie Martinez, who some people think is hot. Can we get on with it already?
The Puppetmasters
Well Josh Schwartz and Chris Fedak are the co-creators. Schwartz created "The O.C." and to my joy, killed Marissa Cooper. Fedak has done nothing that neither I nor the venerable IMDb are aware of. Serving in capacity of EP/director is McG.
The Forecast
Partly Cloudy I like the idea. I like Schwartz. "The O.C." was never better than when solely in his hands.

Fort Pit
The Pitch
Fuck-up NYPD cops get dumped in pathetic Brooklyn precinct.
The Slant
Precinct big-wig hires "talented rookies" to upend slacker attitudes.
The Faces
Viola Davis ("Century City") plays the big-wig and aside from James Badge Dale ("24") the cast rounds out with a bunch of folks I've never heard of. Some of which include Elias Koteas, Michael Rispoli, David Call, Cornell Womack, and Dania Ramirez.
The Puppetmasters
Denis Leary and Jim Serpico (both of "Rescue Me" fame) are EPing. Michael Chernuchin ("Third Watch") and Peter Tolan (also "Rescue Me") are the creators and also executive producers. Tolan is even directing.
The Forecast
Overcast I never watched "Rescue Me" but I've heard it's very good. NBC says the pilot is a "dark comedy that's so satirical, it has to be called a drama." Unfortunately, the vast majority of what would be considered Americans are generally not fans of satire as many don't understand it and the rest believe they are being talked down to. Goddamn, when is "Studio 60" coming back on the air already?!

Journeyman
The Pitch
Regular fella has normal, happy life.
The Slant
But he travels into the past to change things up — and possibly save an ex-fiancée. Dan Vassar, you naughty, naughty boy.
The Faces
Kevin McKidd, Lucius of "Rome," plays the lead. Gretchen Egolf is his wife and Moon Bloodgood is his dead almost-wife. Other cast members include Reed Diamond and Brian Howe.
The Puppetmasters
Kevin Falls and Alex Graves, both of "West Wing" fame, shall serve as EPs. Falls is also the creator while Graves will direct the pilot. Graves also directed more than his share of "West Wing" shows, especially in the post-Sorkin days.
The Forecast
Sunny I don't know how he does it but it sounds pretty fucking cool. And I like Brits on American TV. I hope they don't make him change his accent a la Hugh Laurie. Dude, but I love "House."

Life
The Pitch
Cop with zen-like approach gets jaded partner.
The Slant
Cop got his "zen-like approach" after spending years in prison for a crime he didn't commit.
The Faces
Damian Lewis plays our hero, Detective Charlie Crews. His "jaded" partner was Bradley Cooper's sexy assistant on "Alias," Sarah Shahi. Adam Arkin (from just about anything produced by David E. Kelley) and Robin Weigert (Calamity Jane on "Deadwood") round out the group.
The Puppetmasters
Rand Ravich serves as creator. He wrote the pilot in '05 about cops from the '70s. The nets just don't like period pieces anymore I guess. The pilot is helmed by David Semel who has directed only some of the best shows on TV. Ravich and Semel are both listed as executive producers.
The Forecast
Partly Cloudy Despite NBC's press release suggesting that Crews "offers up unique insights into each crime" and "reminds us of all the little things we take for granted," I'm tempted to thing it won't be too cheesy. So I'd watch.

Lipstick Jungle
The Pitch
Three ambitious women from NYC support each other.
The Slant
Not sure, it basically sounds like "Sex And The City II."
The Faces
Brooke Shields, Lindsay Price (the failed U.S. version of "Coupling") and Kim Raver (Jack's Audrey on "24"), I imagine are the three leads. Although Kim Raver's character appears to be naemd Nico O'Neilly. Say that out loud. David Noroña, Julian Sands, David Alan Basche and Christopher Wiehl round out the cast. (Which explains why Roger was banished from the post-apocalyptic town of Jericho.)
The Puppetmasters
I've never heard of DeAnn Heline or Eileen Heisler but IMDb tells me they're the creative force behind "How I Met Your Mother" and "Murphy Brown." Never watched either. The show is based on a Candace Bushnell book and directed by Gary Winick.
The Forecast
Rainy Not interested. I don't have much more to say on the subject. Except that I hope this doesn't mean Audrey Raines bites it at the end of this season. And I hope the success of Darren Star's show doesn't lead NBC to think this show would do the same.

M.O.N.Y.
The Pitch
Kid from "old neighborhood" elected to fight city hall.
The Slant
Mayor slips into a coma and the kid has to take his place.
The Faces
Bobby Cannavale is the only name I recognize. His cohorts include Amy Ryan, Aria Moayed and Carmen Ejogo.
The Puppetmasters
Tom Fontana and Barry Levinson ("The Jury") are the creators behind this one. And get this: Spike Lee is directing the pilot. What a crazy world.
The Forecast
Rainy So I'm guessing M.O.N.Y. stands for "mayor of New York" but that's pure speculation. Seriously. Okay, and did I mention I'm not interested? But my interests don't seem to mesh with the general television audience. I can't work out how "CSI" is the highest rated show on TV.

Winters
The Pitch
Tough-as-nails chick cop gets partnered with God-fearing man-of-faith cop.
The Slant
What if Greg House was that chick cop?
The Faces
The illustrious Famke Janssen is House, er, Winters. Her partner is Dorian Missick, fresh on the heels of the failed "Six Degrees." Barry Shabaka Henley, Sarah Clarke and Xander Berkeley round out the awesome cast. (We know the excellent husband-and-wife team of Berkeley and Clarke from "24," of course.)
The Puppetmasters
David Shore and Peter Blake are the EPs and creators. Ah, now you understand all the "House" references. The director is Tony Goldwyn (who's also directed episodes of "House" if I'm not mistaken).
The Forecast
Sunny I like house so this is sounding rather interesting to me. Oh, Nina Myers and George Mason are going to be so cool in this show. I can't even imagine. And before you ask why I think this pilot's going to be like "House," aside from the producers, NBC says "everybody lies" in their press release. So there.

That's a wrap for NBC's drama pilots. If all goes as planned, you can expect comedy pilots a week from today.

And for tomorrow... ABC's drama pilots. You know you want it.

The information here is accurate only insofar as the futon critic has accurate information. As of this writing, this is what I know. And I only know what they publish. Now get the whole story there.

No comments: