Monday, April 16, 2007

Playoff Predictions, Update 1

All right. Everyone has at least two games behind them now so I felt it was time for a regular check-up on how my predictions are faring. I'll do it again after everyone's got four games and then once more at the end of the round.

Here's how it works. I'm listing game results followed by my original prediction. Then I'll decide what the status is of that prediction, whether things are looking up for it or not. Then I'll cast a second opinion (that in no way cancels out my original predictions).

Conference Quarterfinals

Sabres & Islanders
Series tied 1-1
Game 1: Sabres 4, Islanders 1
Game 2: Islanders 3, Sabres 2
My Initial Diagnosis: Sabres in 5
Status: Stable. Things can still work out for me. But the Islanders are going to have to play a lot worse and probably lose Rick DiPietro. Do you imagine Buffalo winning the next three straight? I don't.
Second Opinion: Sabres in 6

Devils & Lightning
Series tied 1-1
Game 1: Devils 5, Lightning 3
Game 2: Lightning 3, Devils 2
My Initial Diagnosis: Lightning in 6
Status: Stable. Things are still looking up for my Bolts. I'm sticking with my original prediction.

Thrashers & Rangers
Rangers lead series 2-0
Game 1: Rangers 4, Thrashers 3
Game 2: Rangers 2, Thrashers 1
My Initial Diagnosis: Thrashers in 7
Status: Stable. With the way the Rangers have been playing, I might be tempted to change my vote, but I'm going to stick with Atlanta. I think they have the experience needed to win the series.

Senators & Penguins
Senators lead series 2-1
Game 1: Senators 6, Penguins 3
Game 2: Penguins 4, Senators 3
Game 3: Senators 4, Penguins 2
My Initial Diagnosis: Penguins in 5
Status: Deceased. With the Sens' second win of the series, it's safe to say my prediction for this series did not pan out.
Second Opinion: Senators in 6

Red Wings & Flames
Red Wings lead series 2-0
Game 1: Red Wings 4, Flames 1
Game 2: Red Wings 3, Flames 1
My Initial Diagnosis: Red Wings in 4
Status: Stable. Things are looking up for the Wings and my prediction. I may be an "idiot" but not about this series. The Flames really need to step up if they're going to have a shot at the next round.

Ducks & Wild
Ducks lead series 3-0
Game 1: Ducks 2, Wild 1
Game 2: Ducks 3, Wild 2
Game 3: Ducks 2, Wild 1
My Initial Diagnosis: Wild in 7
Status: Critical. For my prediction to come true, the Wild are going to have to win the next four straight and complete and upset of pretty massive proportions. The losses have only been by one goal each and they haven't really been outplayed by Anaheim, but I just don't see it happening for them.
Second Opinion: Ducks in 5

Canuck & Stars
Canucks lead series 2-1
Game 1: Canucks 5, Stars 4, 4OT
Game 2: Stars 2, Canucks 0
Game 3: Canucks 2, Stars 1, 1OT
My Initial Diagnosis: Canucks in 6
Status: Stable. It's looking good but for some reason I've been finding myself rooting for the Stars but I still think the Canucks will take this series.

Predators & Sharks
Series tied 1-1
Game 1: Sharks 5, Predators 4, 2OT
Game 2: Predators 5, Sharks 2
My Initial Diagnosis: Predators in 6
Status: Stable. I'll allow for one more San Jose victory but I'm going with the Predators all the way (that is, unless the Lightning return to the finals, in which case you already know who I'm going for then).

No comments: